Canadian Employers

The Canadian government offers Canadian employers several programs designed for hiring foreign workers. To initiate the process, it is necessary to be aware of all the immigration methods that are available to the employers.  If you are one of the top Canadian employers looking to hire foreign workers for your business, here are some basic information that you need to know in advance. 

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

Employers need an LMIA before they can hire a temporary foreign worker.

A positive LMIA confirms there is a need for a temporary foreign worker, and that no Canadians or permanent residents are available to do the job.

LMIA is issued by the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). A Canadian employer can apply for an LMIA to hire: 

  • high wage workers or 
  • low wage workers. 

However, they will have to meet a set of essential requirements before applying for an LMIA.

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) helps to hire foreign workers to fill labour and skill shortages. 

Once a positive LMIA has been issued, the Canadian employer must provide a copy of the confirmation letter to each temporary foreign worker and tell each of them to apply for a work permit.

The International Mobility Program (IMP) helps to hire foreign workers without an LMIA. In this program, the employer has to pay an employer compliance fee before the temporary foreign worker can apply for a work permit.