Canada welcomes millions of people every year to visit the beautiful country and their loved ones that live here. Except for Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents, and citizens of visa-exempt countries, every visitor who wants to enter Canada for a temporary purpose like vacation, or to visit friends or family, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization is required.  

To enter Canada as a visitor you would either need a visitor visa Canada, an electronic travel authorization or a valid passport or travel document.

 So, do you want to apply for a Canadian visitor visa? Check out the requirements and eligibility criteria in detail:

Visitor visa Canada 


  • Valid travel document (passport)
  • Good health (may require medical exam)
  • Enough money to cover the stay in Canada
  • Ties in the home country
  • Intent to leave Canada once the visa duration is over.


Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

It is a requirement for all visa-exempt foreign nationals who wish to fly to or transit through Canada. However, there are exceptions as well such as for: 

  •  US citizens, 
  •  French citizens living in and flying directly from Miquelon and St. Pierre
  •  holders of valid Canadian visa, 
  •  holders of a valid Canadian status re-entering Canada after visiting St. Pierre and Miquelon or US,


Visitor visa Canada for workers or students

If you are granted a work permit or study permit, please note that this is not a visa to enter Canada. You will have to separately apply for a visitor visa in Canada if you extend your work or study permit.

Parent and grandparent super visa

The Super Visa is a multiple-entry visa. It helps parents and grandparents of permanent resident or Canadian citizen children to visit Canada for up to 2 years at a time. However, you need to fulfil certain conditions to apply for a visitor visa Canada under this category.


  • Your child or grandchild must be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen
  • A signed letter of invitation from your child or grandchild with proof of financial undertaking, a copy of their Canadian citizenship or PR visa.
  • The parents and grandparents must pass a medical examination
  • Proof of having received medical insurance from any insurance company in Canada providing coverage of 100,000 CAD; is valid for at least a year from the date of entry; and is fully paid for