Canada’s Live-In Caregiver Program is for foreign nationals who wish to provide care for children, the elderly or those with medical needs and immigrate or temporarily work in Canada. This would provide a direct pathway to permanent residence.

There are currently two immigration programs in operation that are specifically designed for caregivers. 


- Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot

This is a 5-year pilot program initiated in 2019 which gives the opportunity for caregivers and their family members to enter Canada for work and eventually become permanent residents.

 There are annual limits on the number of applications that will be accepted for each eligible occupation.

In this pilot program, an occupation-restricted open work permit is given initially.

Work Permit Requirements

  • Language requirements of CLB5 in English or French.
  • Valid and genuine job offer from Canadian employer outside of Quebec.
  • 1 year or higher post-secondary education credential, Canadian or ECA-verified.
  • Intent and ability to perform the tasks required in the NOC description.

This pilot program can help caregivers to Canada to apply for permanent residency if:

  • the eligibility requirements are met, and
  • have a job offer to work either as a home child care provider or home support worker.

Your experience as a home child care provider or home support worker counts towards your permanent residency eligibility. 

- Caregiver through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
If in Canada, you can apply for a work permit from inside Canada to work as a caregiver through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).